Is this your FIRST Conference Experience?
Are you questioning everything and racked full of nervous butterflies?
Are you a Pro at this, but want to come in with a fresh and prepared coolness? Lol!
Here are some Helpful TIPS To Attending a Conference that are sure to make your Experience a SUCCESS!!!
- BE YOURSELF. The key to success in blogging and at a conference is to be exactly who you are.The person you’ve been building online and who you are in person should match. People can tell the difference! Accentuate the BEST parts of yourself so that your AMAZINGNESS Shines through! Your clothing and makeup should reflect your personality. Wear the things that make you feel confident and glamourous. You don’t have to turn into a supermodel for the event, but you don’t want to be so comfortable that people remember you as the “frumpy” girl! Make a statement and leave your mark. This is who you are, so flaunt it proudly!!
- BE PRESENT & BE ENGAGED. The last thing you want to do at a social event like a conference is bury your head in your device. Whether the speaker is talking in one of the classrooms or you’re all gathered together in the ballroom, engage in what is being said. Balance out taking notes and making eye contact with the speakers. It’s easy to hide behind your device or get lost in trying to type or tweet every word, but you end up missing out on the NOW moments. Don’t be the one in the room confused by the laughs because you didn’t hear the joke being said. Listen and write down the things down that stick out most to you. And RELAX, this is going to be amazing & enriching!!
- BE ON TIME. There are SO many people to talk to and connect with at a conference that it can be very easy to lose track of time. You don’t want to end up missing out on or being late for that class you really wanted to attend so make an effort to be on time. However, IF this happens try these things: • Slip in quietly and grab a seat at the back if there is one • If the class is FULL, go to another class and take it as a lesson learned to NOT be late • Forget trying to find the friends you were going to sit with and just take the easiest to reach seat • Forget trying to squeeze in by the cool blogger gal you were dying to snap a fab photo with . . . . You don’t want to be a distraction to the speaker or attendees trying to listen by meandering around the room. Make an effort to be on time so you can follow Tip #2.
- BE DIVERSE. It’s not only about YOU, it’s about ALL OF US! We are all here together for many of the same reasons. Have you ever been stuck chatting with someone who has NO interest in you? Gaahhh how awful right?! When we’re at conferences it’s common to repeat your “elevator pitch” about you, your biz or blog, but try to be aware of that persons level of interest. If you’re going on and on about yourself and people’s eyes are glazing over, it’s not a good thing. Get people talking about themselves, make REAL connections and friends! It may be uncomfortable putting yourself out there and not wanting to overthink it or say the wrong thing, but YOU’RE Amazing and THEY are Amazing and something exciting can definitely stem from a first conversation.
- BE PROFESSIONAL. Don’t be THAT girl or guy! Whether its a conference or dinner party work event, there is always that 1 person who is the talk amongst everyone. They were hammered, inappropriate or are so “loud” and crazy that its annoying. Bubbly and fun personalities are lively and amazing but there’s that person (and you’re all thinking of them) that is so showy and obnoxious with everything. Remember, we don’t actually know everyone in the room and they may not be familiar with our flair and pizzaz. First impressions can only be once. It’s a conference to grow your business and brand and get yourself out there. The person you present people with is the person who they will remember. Refer to Tip#2. Be yourself, but be your BEST self!
- BE BRAVE WITH BOUNDARIES. There you are walking around and you realize that the brand you’ve been dying to work with is RIGHT THERE! OMG! We have all felt that excitement, but there are limits on HOW we should express our enthusiasm. Don’t be a stalker! What impression are you making if you are following someone around the room like a creepy stalker or approaching someone as they enter their hotel room? Instead of being scared to approach them, put your BRAVE face on and march right on up to them (with amped up confidence and that beautiful makeup and fabulous outfit you are working) and have your elevator pitch ready. Boom! You’ve Got This!
- BE BUSINESS SAVVY. One of the most valuable things you can take away from a conference are business cards from all the people you meet. Make sure you have a safe spot in your purse or bag specifically for them. Make notes on the cards to remind yourself of conversations you’ve had or bring stickers to label the ones you especially want to reconnect with after the conference. The connections can become overwhelming and it’s all jam packed into what seems like not enough days, it’s easy to lose or forget exactly who people are or important details. After all, this is a great opportunity to network with people you could potentially partner up with down the road. Behind every door (or card) is an opportunity. Don’t miss it because you forgot!
- BE MINDFUL OF WHAT YOU SPEAK. The worst thing you can do is trash another blogger. If someone is awful, THAT will show…it always eventually comes out. The last thing you want to do is establish yourself as the Conference Gossip. It’s great to promote yourself, but remember to do so without speaking negatively of others. Try instead to make comparisons, highlighting yourself and your attributes. This is when you CAN focus a bit on yourself and when it IS about you. Lol! There are ears everywhere and you never know who knows who. Eeeeek! Imagine saying something awful about a fellow blogger and that person happens to be friends with them…YIKES! Then rumors start going, hair starts flying and well, we are much to amazing for all that cattiness right!?!?! Let’s focus on all the POSITIVES!
- BE A MORNING PERSON.…Or Set Your Alarm (or 5 alarms lol)! We are not all morning people right? Well, no one else needs to know that. Get your coffee, your tea, your coke or do whatever you do for your AWESOMENESS routine. Have the hotel give you a wake up call if you think it will help. No shame in that game!! All the late nights, little sleep and uber excitement can just plain wear you out and there are way too many great classes and things going on to miss out because you slept in by accident.
- BE BRIGHT. This is your time to SHINE! Get out of your room and get to know people. It may look like everyone else knows each other, but I guarantee you that people want to get to know you. These conferences are rare opportunities to make friends and business connections, so SIEZE THE DAY!
This was just a little helpful list of things to make your conference experience even better and hopefully calm your nerves! Lol!
• • •If you are a Conference PRO…share you stories and experiences and expertise. If you’re a Conference NEWBIE…share some of your fears and thoughts and get ema ll out there so they aren’t plaguing you anymore. Someone has been where you are and in no time you will be the one giving advice! However you come, remember how FABULOUS you are. YOU are an awesome person and YOU have a lot to offer the world of friendships and connections.We are ALL going to have a BLAST (and a BASH hehehe).
REMEMBER, BE THE BEST YOU, YOU ARE!